It’s been a busy few weeks here – I continued running but was unable to meet the goal of 5k by the 16th. That’s ok, it’s been great to be back at the gym. More important, my son comes with me nightly and looks forward to it each day! This journey hasn’t ended and roadblocks happened, but I’m so proud of my son.
Let’s see what these next few weeks bring as I journey back to running daily.
It’s been a few days since I set my goal of running, and I’m starting to realize the next immediate goal I need to set is relating my daily food habits. Trying to run while having the bloated feeling is not ideal, and carbs seem to always be my goto for snacks… And I understand the need for carbs, I’m just not at the point in my journey where I need to worry about a lot of small details yet.
Similarly, I need to increase my daily water intake. Not much to expound on here.
Reflecting on my love of running and how important it was in my life really encouraged me to set a goal and get back out there. So here I am. By April 16th, 2018, I will be back running a 5k 1-2x a week. I miss it! I’m heading to the gym now to start on the treadmill again and will keep updates here.
For fathers day, I got a 1966 Chevelle Malibu. The project itself will not be a complete frame-off restoration, but more of a “rebuild”. I have no interest in doing an LS swap but do want to get a big block in here some day – 396 or 454, whatever I can find, still carbureted. It has the turbo 350, automatic that I will also replace with a 5 or 6 speed tremec. The final look and feel I’m going for is death – when you see and hear it coming, you immediately question your life decisions.
It came with a 350 SBC. I tore this down to the longblock as the heads were not flowing well and had oil leaking into them (camel hump heads even!). I swapped them with a set of vortec heads that were just better flowing, ported and polished, and much better. I dont remember the stats, but will update when I find them. Long-tube 2.5″ headers, no exhaust. Replaced all electrical circuits.
The body is straight. The major rust is around the rear-window and panel-to-trunk. There is a leak in the windshield seal. I’ll be soda blasting everything myself, acid washing it, repairing the rust (with replacement panels), and plastidipping it matte-black. Looking at 275+ tires in the back.
The oil galley plugs have threaded square pipe plugs that have been impossible for me to remove. Although I didn’t have a pipe socket, I tried every possible tool with a 1/4 fitting possible. We even heated the threads hoping this would help in the removal process. Ended having to buy a special, impact 1/4″ pipe socket that worked wonder. Unfortunately, we stripped one of the bolts so we have to extract that…
Using our new tool, we were successfully able to remove the valve springs, keepers, and valves. Although we’ve yet to measure anything, not a single valve had any issue with the seat or clearance. Only one valve has a slight mushroom on top of the head so we need to lightly grind it down so that we can remove it.
Even though these are 882’s with 76CC, we’re still going to reuse them in this rebuild 🙂 Rather than take them to a machine shop for tanking, we opted to clean them ourself by soaking them in purple power for a week. They came out great, in our final wash before assembly, we will ensure rust and any residue is removed.
The valve spring remover I have right now requires too much patience to use. It’s one of the small hand-held types that hook onto the spring with 2 legs, and you crank down the compressor by hand. Sometimes it falls right off, other times it just stares at you doing nothing. So I opted to replace it for a more useful, sturdy one. The bearing tool is only for SBC but it was dirt cheap and until I can find a better one on craigslist, it got the job done.
Unfortunately, I’ve been spending all my spare time either at baseball or working. However, we’re getting back into the groove today.
Cracked the heads off and pulled off the oil pan – it’s a 4 bolt main (figured), and visually looks great. We rotated the pistons again and watched for knocking and clearance on the rods – no knocking and the clearance looks perfect.
A few piston skirts appear to have rubbed against the bore – I think they collapsed, but won’t know for sure until I measure. The bores otherwise still have crosshatching which is slightly surprising. I really want to reuse the pistons and rings and am hoping I don’t need to bore this. There is a ridge at the top of each cylinder bore, so again, assume we aren’t having to bore this out, honing will clean that up.
The cam is getting thrown away – 2 of the lobes are practically round!
Because of all the sludge, we pressure washed the block thoroughly with hot water and purple power degreaser.
We are going to remove the bearings a different day.
What the hell did this thing go through? The insides look as though it was set on fire and then submerged in a lake!
The lifter valley was full of oil/charcoal deposits the size of golf balls! The liquid sludge was thick, and covered everything inside valve train as well as caked the exterior. I can’t wait to pressure wash it and then have a machine shop tank it.
It is a 4 barrel and the intake appears to be in reusable condition. We were able to get the engine to rotate manually so nothing was seized. We discovered a flat tappet cam so we will be inspecting and measuring the cam thoroughly. The rockers and pushrods appear to be fine, but we’ll confirm the geometry upon re-installation. The spark plugs all yielded nothing but more sludge 🙁 We will do as much degreasing and cleaning ourselves as possible, but we plan on taking the block and heads to a machine shop to have it hot-tanked to ensure all the oil passages are cleaned.